Does anyone else remember when Oprah got into the Law of Attraction? I have this memory of being a teenager and watching Oprah interview the women who wrote The Secret and having this totally skeptical reaction. Like “What the heck is she talking about???”
Fast forward a few years and I found myself creating a business vision board to help me reach my goals. I had to laugh at my earlier disbelief because even if you don’t believe in the Law of Attraction if you are a visual learner vision boards are awesome.
A business vision board is a great way to manifest and focus your goals, dreams, and aspirations. By carefully crafting what you want in life and in your business, these visualized goals become more tangible and achievable. But where do you start when it comes to making a business vision board? In this guide, we will provide step-by-step instructions for creating and making the most out of a vision board.
What is the Law of Attraction?
The Law of Attraction says that you will attract what you focus your attention on. When you focus on the negative things around you, that is the kind of energy you will have in your life. When you focus on positive things you will pull more positive energy into your life.
I don’t know how much of that I believe…but I do think that when you focus on negative or positive it affects how your brain sees your life. Kind of a glass-half-empty or half-full concept, life is what you expect to see.
Many Olympic athletes use visualization as part of their training, a form of the Law of Attraction. There is also scientific evidence that visualization can help patients heal from surgery faster and many doctors encourage their patients to meditate before undergoing procedures.
So if doctors and athletes are seeing results, imagine what using a vision board for your small businesses can help you achieve!
Why is Visualization So Powerful for Your Brain?
Visualizing your goals and desired outcomes is a powerful tool for your brain. By envisioning our desired outcomes, we are more likely to stay motivated and focused on our goals. This is because visualizing these goals stimulates the same parts of the brain as actually doing the task itself. In other words, when we visualize ourselves taking steps towards our goal, it can be just as powerful as actually working towards them.
The act of visualization has been shown to increase motivation, focus, and energy levels, and to help us stay organized and on track with our plans.
Visualization can also help us better understand complex concepts or tasks by giving us a mental picture of what we need to do. This can make it easier for us to break down large tasks into smaller, more manageable ones. Visualizing our goals also gives us a sense of ownership and control over them, which can make us more likely to achieve them.
Finally, visualization can also be used to help us work through difficult emotions or situations. By allowing us to see ourselves in a positive light, we can better cope with challenges and develop strategies to overcome them.
Understanding the Basics of a Business Vision Board
A business vision board is essentially a collection of images, words, and quotes that represent the goals and aspirations you have for your business. It is an effective way to stay organized and focused on what you want to achieve.
The Business Vision Board Process
1. Begin by writing down your business goals and aspirations.
If you haven’t taken the time to set out some long-term goals and then break them down into bite-size steps do it before you create your business vision board. Write your goals out by hand and then use that list as a guide when you start choosing pictures. You could even create a One Page Business Plan before you get started.
Think about the things that inspire you, the things you want in your life, and the things you’re passionate about. Ask yourself questions like:
- What do I want to accomplish professionally?
- What type of business owner do I want to be?
- What experiences do I want to accomplish this year?
2. Think about what words or phrases evoke strong emotions in you.
These could be inspiring quotes, motivational mantras, or even just simple words that remind you of something important. You can find words online, or if you prefer, you can use magazines, newspapers, or other media sources that are readily available.
3. Include images that represent each of your goals.
For example, if one of your goals is to earn enough to travel more, you might include photos of different places around the world. You can use literal pictures of things, like a new car or a book published, or more ethereal goals such as helping other people get fit or learning a new crochet technique.
I also love to pull pictures that evoke a feeling. It can be hard to figure out how to represent finding a new relationship, but you can represent love with a simple heart.
Another idea is to make a collage with photos you took yourself.
4. Look for symbols that are meaningful to you.
This could be anything from a heart to a star to a butterfly. These symbols can be used to represent different aspects of your business goals.
5. Create a pleasing visual arrangement.
Once you have gathered the materials you want to use, it’s time to start arranging them on your board. Start by laying out the images, words, and quotes you have chosen in a visually appealing way. Consider how the colors and shapes of the elements interact with each other, and try to create a cohesive and balanced layout.
Place the images and quotes that are most meaningful to you in the center of the board, and then work your way outwards. I’ll also use stickers, washi tape, or doodles to add a personal touch. You can also add personal notes or reflections to help you remember and appreciate the messages in your vision board.
Should you include money amounts on your business vision board?
Honestly, this is a tough question to answer.
I am more of a visual person and don’t include specific numbers on my vision board business plan. But, if you are very analytical and it will help you to see the numbers every day, then feel free to include them.
A word of warning though… Numbers are only good to include if there is a plan behind them. Don’t just throw some random income goal on your board. Sit down and create a plan on HOW you will reach that goal by breaking it into quarterly, monthly, and weekly goals.
Business Vision Board Format Ideas
There are many different ways to format the vision boards that you can create. The materials you use to make them don’t need to be limited to just magazine cutouts, photos, and quotes either. Here are some different ideas and vision board formats that you can use when creating your own physical vision board:
- Collage Boards: This type of vision board uses a variety of images, words, and quotes to create a visually appealing collage. These boards are perfect for those who want to express themselves in a creative way.
- Goal Setting Boards: These boards focus on specific business goals or objectives that you want to achieve. You can include images, words, and quotes that will help to keep you motivated and on track as you work towards your goals.
- Mind Map Boards: These boards use a visual representation of ideas and concepts to help you think through and plan out your goals. You can use mind maps to get an overview of the different aspects of a project or goal that you want to achieve.
- Calendar Boards: A calendar board allows you to set deadlines for yourself and track your progress over time. This can help to keep you motivated and on track as you work towards your goals.
- File Folder Boards: My own vision boards have usually been created on a piece of large cardboard, but it hit me recently that being a very tactile person I should create something I could hold. Luckily, The Artful Parent has directions for creating a portable one using file folders.
- Digital Boards: This is a handy format if you want to be able to take your vision board wherever you go. I used Canva to create my 2023 vision board.
How to Make a Digital Business Vision Board
While traditional vision boards may take up physical space, digital vision boards can be stored on a device such as a computer, tablet, or smartphone. With this method, you can create a board that is just as effective as a physical one but with more flexibility. Here are some tips for creating a successful digital business vision board:
1. Start by picking a platform – You have a few options when it comes to creating your vision board. Popular platforms include websites like Pinterest or specific apps like Canva. Whichever platform you choose, make sure it is easy to use and has the features you need.
2. Gather inspiring images and words – Once you’ve chosen a platform, it’s time to start finding the images and words that will help you stay focused on your goals. Look for quotes, pictures, and other visuals that speak to you and inspire you.
3. Organize your business vision board – After you’ve collected your images and words, it’s important to organize them in a way that makes sense to you. Whether you prefer to keep things grouped by topics or arrange them in an aesthetically pleasing way, try to create a board that you can easily access and use.
4. Share your vision board – Once you’ve created your digital vision board, it’s time to share it with the world. This can be done through social media, email, or a personal blog. By sharing your vision board, you will have more motivation to achieve your goals.
Consider Multiple Vision Boards
Having different boards for different aspects of your life allows you to focus on specific goals and stay motivated to achieve them. When you have a single board, it can become cluttered with too many images and thoughts that can distract you from your main goal. By breaking up your vision boards into separate topics, you can more easily keep track of what you are trying to accomplish.
You can create boards for different aspects of your life such as:
Having multiple vision boards also provides an opportunity to be creative and express yourself in different ways. You can use different colors, textures, and images to express different emotions for each board. This way, you can make sure that each board reflects your individual goals for that topic. Additionally, having multiple vision boards can help you stay organized, focused, and motivated on your path toward success.
Each board can act as a reminder of the progress you have made and the goals you still need to achieve. This can be especially beneficial if you have a lot of goals that require a long-term commitment or sustained effort.
Overall, having multiple vision boards can be a great way to improve your productivity and achieve your goals.
How Often Should You Refresh Your Vision Board?
Refreshing your business vision board can be an important part of staying motivated and focused on your goals. Depending on your goals and how often they change, it is recommended to refresh your vision board at least once a year. This will ensure that your vision board remains relevant and inspiring.
When refreshing your vision board, take some time to reflect on the progress you have made toward your goals. Consider which goals you have achieved, which goals need more work, and which new goals you want to add. This will help you to stay focused on what matters most and ensure that your vision board is full of inspiring images and quotes that will keep you motivated.
You can also use this opportunity to switch up the layout of your vision board. Try different colors, font sizes, and shapes to create a visually appealing and cohesive design. You can also try new materials such as corkboard, poster board, and fabric to give your vision board an extra special touch.
I usually set aside time to create a new business vision board at the end of each year.
The Secret to Business Vision Board Success
Do you want to know the secret to really getting the most out of your business vision board?
Put it where you will see it every single day.
Don’t stick it in a closet or behind the couch. Find a prominent place to display it where you can really soak it in every day. Maybe it can be hung above your desk or put on your bedroom bureau, somewhere you can’t ignore it!
Looking at those pictures and words every day will really sear them into your brain. You want to find yourself thinking about those positive affirmations and long-term goals daily. That focus will help you to reach those goals!
A vision board can grow as you grow. Add more pictures or words as your year progresses or if you reach the goals you set for yourself, make a whole new board!
Create Your Own Business Vision Board
Creating a vision board is an easy, interactive way to focus on your goals and plan for success. With the help of this guide, you can now start crafting your own vision board and begin manifesting your dreams. So what are you waiting for? Get creating!